Thursday, November 08, 2007

On an Age-old Anvil Wince and Sing


Cynthia Ulrich Edelson

O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap
May who ne'er hung there. Nor does long our small
Durance deal with that steep or deep. Here! creep,
Wretch, under a comfort serves in a whirlwind. . . .

G.M. Hopkins of course. I seem for the nonce to be almost out of words.

Many thanks to all who sent notes, etheric or otherwise (Susan, Ange, Linh, sweet backchannelers and thought-streamers).

That sort of kindness gets recorded pretty deeply, at a time like this

more soon, as things start to make sense.

If they ever entirely do again. . . .

3 comments:

Crisman said...

Rachel,
I am so sorry to hear what has happened to your mother. I've been away from civilization in Maine and just arrived back. Although I have never met your mother or you, I believe that I have come to know something about you from your posts and email messages. Your warmth and kindness come through so clearly, as well as your generous humor. Thank you for sharing these gifts and for sharing your gift of words. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I am wishing you comfort and ease during this time and hoping, with all your communities thinking this way, that it is enough. Three times just now I've reread your prescient "Theory of Heartbreak" post. (Please forgive me if I'm saying too much!) I admire the uniqueness and courage of the spirit that says: "poetry kept me alive". To have turned at such a time to poetry is one of the most remarkable decisions I've ever heard a person make.

Here's to you!

Cris

Rachel Loden said...

Cris -- that's incredibly sweet of you. Thank you so much.

I'll be okay. It is weird about that "theory of heartbreak" post, isn't it? Almost as though there were, ya know, a disturbance in the Force -- something one could sense -- and then events swept through.

Tres spooky. But everybody's been so kind (family, friends, random people with babies) and that's making all the difference.

Thanks again.

TC said...

Of course they never do come together again entirely, like everything else...

Came upon this post belatedly, Rachel, and was much moved.

These moments lost in time...